- Corporate Social Responsibilty
Bintulu Port Holdings Berhad (BPHB) places great importance on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) of the Company and its subsidiaries (the Group). We believe in supporting the community we operate in and giving assistance to those in needs and at the same time providing an opportunity to improve their way of living and well-being. As an on-going commitment towards the workplace, community, environment and marketplace, the Group has continued to place a greater emphasis to CSR whilst ensuring the sustainability of its business operations. We believe our sustainability and CSR initiatives benefit all our stakeholders, particularly shareholders, customers, employees and the community at large. Similarly education is also an important focus of our CSR efforts for which we firmly believe will nurture talents that will be of benefit to our nation in the present and in the future. For year 2015, the progress we have made in embedding CSR programmes throughout the Group is narrated in detail as following.
The Group is committed to be a caring employer, operating with standard employment practices, engaging able and qualified employees who are responsible and energised in embracing our business strategy and corporate culture, in order to make our business successful. This is achieved through investment in employees, conducive working environment, a safe and healthy workplace, organisational transparency, and attractive compensation.
A variety of training and development programs enable employees to continue their education and advance in their careers. The Group organises induction courses throughout the year for the newly recruited staff to welcome them to the Company and prepare them for their new roles. In promoting healthy lifestyles, the Group had also organised sports and recreational activities such as ping pong, badminton, Futsal Tournament, marathon etc. Employees of BPHB were also treated to dinner and entertainment during its Annual Family Day and staff gathering events. All these activities are targeted to enhance employee’s capabilities as well as strengthening the relationship between the Management, the staff and families.
An Annual Employee Satisfaction Survey (ESS) was conducted which allows staff to assess the Company as a whole and at the same time gives the Company opportunity to measure the employees’ satisfaction on the organisational cultures and values, career planning, workplace, communication, rewards and recognitions, performance and other work related issues.
Employees are offered attractive benefits and compensation programs, including medical and dental package, group life insurance scheme, gratuity plans and more. We believe that the physical and mental health of our employees impact their ability to perform their jobs safely and effectively. We are dedicated to providing our employees the appropriate tools and resources to support healthy lifestyles.
The Group is also committed to creating a safe and secure working environment that protects the health and wellbeing of our employees. As an International Ship and Ports Facility Security (ISPS) compliant port, the Company never compromised on the safety aspects of the port. All staff, port users and customers are required to adhere to the security and safety policies at all times. Standard Operating Procedures, Documentation Systems and Emergency Response Plan are in place and have been regularly reviewed to enhance the safety standards. Safety Audit and inspections on port facilities and infrastructures, vessels and operational practices have also been carried out regularly to assure high level of compliance.
The Group has taken the opportunity to collaborate with the communities within which we operate and we are committed to making a positive contribution to the community. For the year 2015, among the Group philanthropic contributions for the year are as follows:
- Handing over of ten (10) units personal computer to Sekolah Kebangsaan Kuala Nyalau on 8 July 2015;
- Organising Program Kecemerlangan SPM on 21 – 22 August 2015 at Dewan Kuliah Pusat 2A, UPM Bintulu through collaboration with Pejabat Pendidikan Daerah (PPD) Bintulu and Majlis Guru Cemerlang (MGC) Bintulu;
- Holding social programme for 150 Sarawak Paralympic Athletes from Bintulu, Miri and Sibu on 27 September 2015. This programme was intended to encourage, motivate and inspire the athletes as well as treat them to an outing to the colourful Bintulu International Kite Festival (BIKF);
- Conducting Program Jom ke Sekolah for the 200 underprivileged children from Tatau District and PERYATIM Bintulu on 17 December 2015 where the Company treat the children to shop for their school goods;
- Carrying out community activities in conjunction with Ramadhan month, Isra’ Mikraj, Maulidur Rasul and Sumbangan Korban;
- Giving donations in cash and in kind to communities, schools and Non-Governmental Organisations; and
- Welcoming undergraduate students to do their industrial training in order to gain exposure as well as relevant practical working experience.
The Group recognises the importance of preserving and protecting the environment, now and for the generations to come. We are constantly focused on improving operational efficiencies in order to reduce potential negative impacts to our air, land and water. The Company has set specific environmental performance goals in several key areas, and we work diligently to realise them.
Our corporate environmental policy lays out the expectations that employees throughout the Group need to understand and practice every day. Employees are required to follow current environmental laws, regulations and best practices in the conduct of day-to-day business in a safe and responsible manner.
Among the initiatives taken by the Group for year 2015 are as follows:
- Environmental Impact Assessment was carried out before commencing any new project;
- Regular monitoring of the environmental impact arising from port operational activities;
- All hazardous wastes were disposed through authorised agent appointed by the Local Authority;
- Using energy-saver bulbs to conserve energy, switching-off all office lights before leaving for lunch, and when leaving the office for the night, activating the ‘sleep mode’ on computers, printers, monitors and other business machines while not in use to conserve energy and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emission;
- Using gas for the boilers instead of fossil fuel and promoting the use of electrical driven equipment instead of conventional diesel equipment;
- Reducing paper consumption by practising double-sided printing and increasing use of digital data storage devices such as CDs, flash drives and external hard disk to store information thereby using less space, less paper and avoiding wastages; and
- Providing trainings and hosting events for employees to promote awareness about the Company’s environmental commitments.
The Group continues to engage our customers on an on-going basis to understand their needs and address any concerns they may have. We conduct Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS) to gain insights into customer satisfaction levels and to ensure continuous improvements are made to services rendered.
The Group continues to provide investors with timely and relevant information via Group’s website at http://www.bintuluport.com.my. Shareholders and other interested parties can access our financial statements and announcements to Bursa Malaysia as well as track the daily movements of our share price.
Best Corporate Governance Practices
As a responsible public-listed entity, the Company is committed to upholding the highest standards of corporate governance. We are always in compliance with the stringent regulations set by Bursa Securities and on the effective application of the principles and best practices set out in the Malaysian Code of Corporate Governance 2012.
As the Group ventures into new areas of opportunity, we remain committed in conducting our business in a responsible manner by inculcating good values and ethics among our staff, nurturing the communities, safeguarding good environmental performance and responsible marketplace practices.
We will continue to manage the social and environmental impacts of our business operations whilst taking into consideration the evolving demands of our stakeholders.